viernes, 7 de diciembre de 2012

International Indigenous Peoples Forum on Climate Change 
Statement on High Level Segment read by Estebancio CastroAt the UNFCCC COP18/CMP8 at Doha, Qatar
26 November 2012 to 7 December 2012T

hank you Mr. President, your Excellencies and ladies and gentlemen. 

Indigenous Peoples are of one voice in speaking for the rights of Mother Earth and the collective rights of indigenous peoples who continue to be vulnerable to the accelerating downward spiral of climate change. It is very unfortunate that at this COP, in the beautiful land of the Arab tribal people, the governmental parties could not reach agreement to limit global greenhouse-gas emissions.

Science and recent studies prove that agro-industry is responsible for 80% of deforestation and industrial logging the other 20%. Experts report that small-scale agriculture feeds 70% of the world, and that approximately one billion people depend on hunting, fishing and gathering for their food security while 40 % of Africa practices pastoralism and depends on it as the sole source of livelihood. These same studies prove that industrial agriculture is harmful, contributing to greenhouse gases, and recommend that the change in land use for its expansion and its large-scale practice be eliminated. We must preserve food security and food sovereignty and not replace them with unsustainable industrial agriculture. Small-scale agricultural production such as indigenous agriculture should be supported and strengthened as the strong solution and adaption to climate change that it is.

In all reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation, sustainable management of forest and conservation policies, strategies and actions, the collective rights of indigenous peoples to forests, land, territories and resources should be respected in line with our customary systems of forest governance and management systems, cosmovisions and international standards and instruments such as UNDRIP and ILO Convention 169. MRV systems should go beyond carbon to include all indigenous peoples forest values such as traditional livelihoods, conservation enhancement, and biodiversity among others. MRV systems must comply with all safeguards. We have the right to conduct our own MRV based on our traditional knowledge and the results must be given proper regard.Independent recourse or complaint mechanisms must be available for indigenous peoples at all levels to deal with grievances and conflict resolution. Establishing this mechanism should be done jointly with Indigenous Peoples and progress in this should be reported.Any outcome document of the Durban Platform must integrate an overarching human rights based approach, operationalise equity for indigenous peoples, and recognize the value of indigenous cosmovision and knowledge, technologies, practices, customary governance and institutions. It should further guarantee full and effective participation and active representation of indigenous peoples in all processes, programs and actions at all levels, including inter alia MRV, enforceable safeguards as well as direct access to all funding mechanisms,.

We call on the Board of the Green Climate Fund and its Co-Chairs to provide for participation and access of indigenous peoples over and above civil society and private enterprise. As peoples with the right of self determination, Indigenous Peoples are entitled to their own presence within the Green Climate Fund.The creation of an Indigenous Peoples Advisory Group consisting of the members of the International Indigenous Peoples Forum on Climate Change (IIPFCC) to provide consistent input by Indigenous Peoples into the discussions, dialogue and drafting process at the upcoming and future COP.All Funds and financing mechanisms must be established by the UNFCCC of a dedicated fund, along the lines of that implemented by the Convention on Biological Diversity Secretariat, to support the participation of Indigenous Peoples in this processes.For projects funded under the UNFCCC affecting indigenous Peoples, a grievance or dispute resolution procedure must be developed with the full and effective participation of indigenous peoples affected, subject to their right of free, prior and informed consent.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario